Problems–if they should arise–comes in various forms and intensity. Each job has its possibilities and magnitude at which a hazard may strike. Nobody can be too careful when it comes to such uncertain, out-of-hand matters.
The safety standards in all corporates and businesses have significantly improved over the decade with employers paying special attention and care to ensure safety inside the workplace. Safety Audit Consultants keep the threats at a minimum or nil, not only to save lives but also to avoid unnecessary costs and legal charges to the company.
Risk and Safety assessment identifies possible threats to the employees in the nature of business. It also helps create essential safety measures to neutralize them and make sure they do not recur.
When it is to be done?
Any changes to a process, system, or complete departmental revamp are probably the reasons to start a risk and safety assessment in the company.
- Before starting or implementing a new operation or process.
- Before revising a running procedure.
- On identifying potential risk in the process/business.
- To comply with the regulatory body and its rules.
Having someone proficient with the NEBOSH Course in Chennai guarantees the health and safety of the business and flash warning signs for any possible safety hazard.
Having clear cut objectives
The goal of the assessment should be definite. It should lay out the bricks for formulating a solid ground for framing safety policies and guidelines. Having a clear path ensures no deviations occur during the assessment process.
Types of assessment–And for what purpose?
- A general assessment focuses on the broad aspect of safety in the business. An IOSH Course in Chennai would include all the common guidelines to ensure all essentials are in place.
- An inventory of the substances used and their inherent risks come to light during a substance hazard assessment.
- A manual handling risk assessment is necessary when there is a lot of manual lifting, carrying, operating machinery, and moving of the employees inside the workplace. It highlights dangers associated with such movements.
- A fire safety assessment to make sure all the appropriate measures have been taken to minimize loss due to fire. Providing employees with a Fire and safety Course in Chennai would benefit everyone in the organization
How to assess properly?
- Identify the threshold of risk with the nature of your business in mind and compare the actual level of risk with the set standard–above which a component is considered harmful.
- Assess the possibility and the frequency of a risk. Seek information about those who may be affected by that hazard. Does it pose a threat to an employee? Does it impact the overall business in any way? Would it have a negative consequence with external stakeholders of the business? These are the questions that need answers.
- Measure what consequences the risk would have and its possible effect on the business, its reputation, or productivity.
- Take diligence of the risks that are inevitable and accept them.
Match assessment criteria to the nature of business
- If the business is labor-intensive, there are high possibilities of risks to the employee but that does not mean risks are low in an automated factory.
- If the business is complex, it increases the risk factor.
- Outdated safety policies and unkempt machinery contribute to safety hazards.
Carrying out a well-planned assessment enhances the quality of work in the business by decreasing risks and costs, increasing productivity, and ultimately–The standard of the business.